The Civil Designer is responsible for the 3-D model creation and drawings produced that are associated with site development and site finishing of general commercial development. This position reports to senior engineers and completes their tasks with little guidance provided. This associate will be required to manage multiple projects and could be required to mentor and oversee the work of multiple entry level professionals. The Civil Designer should be capable of interfacing with both internal and external clients as needed to maintain schedules. This associate should know the industry well enough to ensure that items are elevated to the Engineer of Record as needed.
While this position is being posted in Kansas City, it is also available in Wichita, Kansas and Houston, Texas.
- Reviews rough sketches, drawings, specifications, and other engineering data received from Engineers.
- Plots maps and charts showing profiles and cross-sections, indicating relation of topographical contours and elevations to building and retaining walls.
- Prepares site layout designs and drafts detailed and complex drawings for items such as pads, roads, drainage, and pipelines.
- Prepares site grading and placement of basic erosion and sedimentation control measures.
- Maintains good knowledge of governmental regulations, codes and ordinances and applies them to plans, as needed.
- Provides civil design for a wide variety of small and large site development projects throughout the United States.
- Other duties as assigned.
Examples of job responsibilities are not intended to be all inclusive. GLMV reserves the right to assign additional responsibilities as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong understanding of construction process, design constraints, and required deliverables.
- Good understanding and knowledge of civil site requirements.
- Understanding of cross-discipline needs for continuous coordination with other architects and engineers, lead engineer, project management, commercial and procurement on multidiscipline design and construction projects.
- Understanding of drawing coordinate system, including State Plane Coordinates.
- Ability to utilize and import information from GIS databases.
- Familiar with InfraWorks and AutoTURN software.
- Intermediate to Expert level skills with AutoCAD drafting, sheet set manager, standards, line styles, dimensions, annotations, etc.
- Expertise in AutoCAD 2016 or higher and AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Experience using Esri ArcGIS desktop software, and third-party applications (Vehicle Tracking, HydroCAD, etc.).
- Strong Microsoft Office suite skills.
An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Experience and Credentials
- Associate degree in a related field and two or more years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of design is preferred.
- Land development experience is required.
- Survey experience is a plus.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered.